A Note About Judging:
All entries will be judged by an independent panel of local people of all ages and descriptions. All prizes may not be awarded every year if there are insufficient numbers in each category to create a meaningful competition.
A prize of $500 will be awarded to the entry judged best in all categories by our panel of Judges.
AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARD:
This award consists of numerous gifts from Ashfield’s local merchants and will be awarded to the entry receiving the most votes of the attendees at our Gala Screening in Ashfield’s Historic Town Hall.
A prize of $400 will be awarded to an entry judged best in narrative story telling.
BEST ACTOR IN A NARRATIVE:
A $200 prize for the performance by an actor judged best in a narrative entry.
A prize of $300 is awarded to the best judged entry submitted by someone 18 years old or younger and not already a winner of any other prize. The entry must be entirely the work of the young person(s) submitting the entry.
- Young people are encouraged to make submissions to the festival. While it is easy to be intimidated by the many good quality adult submissions, young people should remember that creativity and good ideas can often "make the film."
- There is certainly no risk to making a submission, and the Film Festival Committee is happy to answer questions and to provide guidance to young people interested in producing a film for the festival.
- There are many resources available for young filmmakers. On the internet, one can find a variety of short movies for inspiration or tutorials on how to film or edit (see Links.) Your local library will also have books available about filmmaking.
- “Perhaps it sounds ridiculous, but the best thing that young filmmakers should do is to get hold of a camera and some film and make a movie of any kind at all.” - Stanley Kubrick
- “My advice to young film makers is this: Don't follow trends, Start them!” - Frank Capra
BEST HISTORICAL FILM
A prize of $300 will go to the entry judged best on an historical topic relating to Ashfield.
A $300 prize will go to the documentary entry judged best.
TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD:
A prize of $200 will be given to an entry judged to show outstanding work in one or more of the following categories; cinematography, sound design, musical score or animation and not already a winner of any other prize.
MUSIC VIDEO PRIZE:
A prize of $200 will be awarded to the entry judged to be the best use of imagination and editing of video, photography, animation, special effects or any combination to a song or musical piece*. This prize will be awarded only if sufficient entries are received and not already a winner of any other Prize.
- There are many places on the web to obtain music that will give a license free of charge for non commercial or student use. like www.mobygratis.com. You can also try searching Google with terms like: Fair Use Music, Public Domain Music, Fair Use Songs